Monday, June 29, 2015

QR Codes Are More Than Just Black & White!

   
   
Image Source: https://pixabay.com/en/qr-code-scanner-bar-code-156717/
    QR codes are a valuable tool.  They can be used in so many ways.  I had learn about a tech tool when I was in a Discovering Technology for Learning online course.  I chose to review a video by Dan Spencer on QR codes provided through REMC(http://mistreamnet.org/videos/910/qr-codes or scan the code below:-)).


Here is my review of what I learned and how I would apply it in the classroom:
   I chose to learn about QR Codes because the kids like to use tech and I figured it would be a fun way for students to use tech and to check their answer by scanning a QR code.  (Thanks Dan for hosting the video! :))
Here are a list of things I learned that will be helpful for me create lessons for my students:
  1. QR codes can used to link to maps, pictures, websites and documents.
  2. The 3 boxes in the corner need to be visible when scanning QR codes.
  3. A smart device is needed when scanning QR codes.  If one is not provided, you can take a picture of the QR code and upload that picture to snapmyinfo.com and it will read the QR code for you.  There are even some websites that allow you to scan the QR code with the camera on your computer.  
  4. To make a QR code, go to a QR creator website like qrstuff.com and follow the directions on the website.
  5. You need a QR code reader on your smart product to scan QR codes.
  6. QR codes give students support when you are not in the classroom.  Attach answers and help on a project or worksheet to the QR codes!
  7. Use for Scavenger Hunts or Stations to give students information of where they found it or what they need to do next.
  8. Create a more interactive experience when learning.
  9. Use QR codes to check answers when they are done with the assignment.  You won't lose the answers.  GREAT!
  10. Use QR codes to link to google forms to collect data.


    Wow, so much information.  I haven't used QR codes in the classroom a lot yet but I really liked the idea of using QR codes for scavenger hunts.  I am going to create a lesson for some of my students using QR codes in a scavenger hunt.  On a side note, QR codes are GREAT for conferences when you are presenting.  Attendees can easily access your presentation by scanning the QR codes you provided.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment